Registered Membership of the ECA is available to businesses (sole proprietors, partnerships, limited or public liability companies) that carry out all types of electrical and electronic installation work and that meet the following criteria.
To become a Registered Member of the ECA, your business must:
- Have been undertaking electrical contracting work continuously for at least one year.
- Have a turnover in excess of £30,000 per annum and annual business trading accounts.
- Carry out safe electrical work that complies with the latest Wiring Regulations laid down by the British Standards Institution (BSI) and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), or other relevant Building Regulations and British Standards.
- Demonstrate your technical competence on joining the Association and at regular intervals thereafter by participating in either the ECA Membership Certification Scheme or the 'Deemed to Satisfy' Scheme.
- Be registered with any one of the Government-approved Full Scope Competent Person Schemes for Part P of the Building Regulations, if you carry out domestic work.
- Hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £2 million.
- Hold employer's liability insurance (which must be displayed as required by law).
- Have a written, dated and signed Health & Safety Policy Statement and appropriate risk assessment procedures.
- Comply with the ECA's Rules, Standing Orders, and Bye-laws and with the Code of Fair Trading.
- Pay an annual subscription fee, which is based on a fixed basic amount and a sum related to declared turnover. Subscription fees are payable by Direct Debit either as a single instalment (enjoying a 2.5% prompt payment discount for a full year's subscription) or as 12 monthly interest-free instalments. Please email any queries to email@example.com.
All Registered Members are entitled to free membership of the Joint Industry Board (JIB) and we strongly encourage you to consider this.
If your business does not meet the above criteria, you may be interested in becoming an ECA Registered Associate. This membership category gives your business access to local branch meetings and the ECA technical helpline as well as discounted training courses and publications.